Ever since people have been fighting they’ve been throwing around insults to go along with it. Whether they’re chasing down a title fight, selling a fight to rack up pay per views or using it as psychological warfare trash talk has become a major part of a lot of fight shows. Whilst it’s an artform when it’s done correctly, there are only a few fighters who can pull it off properly.
We’ve collected five of our favourite quotes from both boxing and MMA, but if you have more of your own then add them to the comments!
“Lay down so I can recognise you.”
– Willie Pep, a featherweight boxer who fought 241 fights, winning all but 11 of them, to one of his many ex opponents.
“He makes the elephant man look like Pamela Anderson.”
– David Haye describing Nikolai Valuev, the six foot ten Russian boxer.
“I’ve seen George Foreman shadow boxing. And the shadow won.”
– Muhammad Ali, who could have a list all to himself, talking about Foreman before they fought.
“If i could understand a word rampage said, I might be mildly offended.”
– Chael Sonnen, the well known MMA trash talker, when talking about the back and forth between Rampage Jackson and Himself.
“Who the f**k is that guy?”
– Conor McGregor, arguably the best smack talker in MMA, after Jeremy Stephens threw shade at a press conference. This line very quickly became a meme.
Bonus Entry: Not technically trash talk, but we need to give a shout out to Yoel Romero, who’s determined to get a shot at Michael Bisping’s belt, and as part of his ongoing social media campaign has set up a Go Fund Me to cover The Count’s medical bills. If you want to donate the link is here.